LIN’s Corporate Volunteer Challenge
Thank you for your participation in LIN Corporate Volunteer Challenge.
Please click here to read the final Project report.
LIN’s Corporate Volunteer Challenge is a call to companies and skilled professionals in Ho Chi Minh City to apply their skill sets and experiences over a three month period (from 7 May- to 7 August 2011) to benefit the community through service with a local not-for-profit organization (NPO).
Whether it is one day of service, one week or an on-going commitment, we would like to challenge individuals and companies to take some time out to donate their skills sets and/or professionals services to support the communities in which they live or work.
Why do we do this?
To mark the “International Day of Service,” taking place on 7 May 2011, and to stimulate pro bono community service activities taking place in and around Ho Chi Minh City.
In addition, LIN is raising funds to support community development through this challenge. For every hour donated and verified, our corporate partner (Horizon Capital Group) has agreed to donate VND 20,000 to support programs and activities administered by the LIN Center for Community Development, which aims to strengthen communities, thereby leveraging the impact of your community service work.
Who can participate?
Individuals (local and foreign) that want to apply their professional skill sets and Companies that wish to expand or integrate volunteer service activities into their corporate citizenship programs.
How to participate?
Step 1: Pledge the hours
Individuals/Companies that wish to participate will complete an online form, pledging the number of volunteer hours they plan to contribute over the duration of the challenge. Click here to pledge your volunteer hours.
Step 2: Record the hours
On a monthly basis, each individual and/or a company representative will be asked to complete an online form, recording the time contributed (hours volunteered), the NPO served and a highlight from their experience. Click here to submit your volunteer hours.
Participants are encouraged to volunteer with an organization of their choosing. However, to support first-time volunteers, LIN will advertise skilled volunteer opportunities with local NPOs and Volunteer Organizations to help match skilled volunteers with needs in the community. Click here to view available skilled volunteer opportunities.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
Although all kinds of volunteer activities are encouraged and appreciated, this challenge is dedicated to skilled/pro bono volunteer service only. If you are not sure, please check the sample list below:
- Examples of skilled volunteer service:
- Mentor an NPO staff member who is trying to improve or create their communication materials
- Join the Board of Directors or Advisors of an NPO
- Coach an NPO staff member who is working to update or develop their websitev
- Advise an NPO on how to write a grant proposal
- Offer a training session and/or share your expertise at a workshop for NPO staff
- Help an NPO to review their accounts by conducting an audit
- Translate or copy-edit translated documents for an NPO
- Coach nonprofit staff in strategic planning and/or HR management
- Introduce new technology that can help a not-for-profit streamline its customer relationship management services
- Examples of non-skilled volunteer service:
- Cheer up patients at a hospital
- Tutor disadvantaged children at a shelter
- Help a charity kitchen to prepare/distribute meals to poor people
How long is the campaign?
The challenge will run over the course of three months, beginning on May 7, 2011, which is International Day of Service and concluding on August 7, 2011.
What we hope to accomplish?
We hope to inspire and challenge professionals in HCMC to help build the capacity of NPOs who are working to strengthen the communities in which we live and work – a meaningful and sustainable approach to community service.
Not everyone has money to donate, but we all have a few hours to volunteer. Offer your experience to the community to make it a better place for yourself and for others.
If you have questions about the LIN’s Corporate Volunteer Challenge, please contact us at: volunteer@LINvn.org or (08) 38-246-091. Thank you!